Santonio Holmes trade, Right or Wrong?

After getting the news in the wee hours of this morning that Steelers WR and Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes had been traded to the New York Jets for a fifth round draft pick I was stunned, not just at the fact that he had been dealt for such a low pick but that the undertones of marijuana prohibition in this country ring out loud and true...Even in the NFL.


Here is a man who has worked hard his entire life to get where he is and simply because he chooses to speak out and stand up for what he believes in (marijuana use) he is persecuted by not only the NFL, but the team who he helped deliver an unprecedented sixth Super Bowl to.


Don't get me wrong, I love my Steelers and I love the Rooneys and the City of Pittsburgh, and I know the Rooneys have no tolerance for players who violate league policy or the laws of our country. I remember a young man by the name of Bam Morris who was a RB for the Steelers in the 90's and during the off-season, he was caught with 40 lbs of marijuana and subsequently arrested and ultimately cut by the team. What I didn't understand then that he was merely made an example of by the NFL and it's founding fathers. His dreams were torn away from him simply because he had chosen a path in life.They did not judge him on his abilities or talents, just on the fact that he was another victim of the "War on Drugs" which is now being seen for the failure that it is.


I understand we are all responsible for the choices we make in life and have to deal with the consequences that result from our choices. Illegal or not, medicinal or not...I will always be an advocate for the end of marijuana prohibition in this country and I will always speak out loudly and clearly when discussing that topic.


So long Santonio, and thanks for the memories...


Maybe someday you and I can blaze one together...








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Tread On Me...

Some of the things wrong with this world today...

March 04, 2010: 8:21pm